Customer Assistance Programs

Need help paying your York Water Company water or wastewater bill?

There are programs to assist customers who may need a helping hand after falling behind on paying their water or wastewater bill.



York Water Cares (YWC) is a program which provides limited funding, which is payable through community agencies, to those who need help paying their York Water Company water bill.

The York Water Company has been helping customers with their water bills and plumbing concerns since 2005.

Although this program is designed to help low-income customers, it may also be helpful to customers who have a short-term challenge in making ends meet and need assistance paying their water bill.

This program is only available one time per year for a customer that qualifies.

Who can apply?

  • You must be a residential water or sewer customer of York Water.
  • You must be unable to pay your full water bill.
  • You must be at risk of having your water shut off due to non-payment.

How does it work?

If you meet the requirements….

  1. You should contact our Customer Service team at 717-845-3601 or and ask about our Low Income and Customer Assistance Program. We will let you know if an area agency is participating and if they have funds available.
  2. Contact the agency and set up an appointment. They may want you to bring a current water bill or shut-off notice, as well as proof of income for the last two months.
  3.  The agency will review your payment history, proof of income, and how much you owe on your water bill. The agency may also discuss water-saving tips and other ways to reduce future water bills.
  4. You must prove to the agency that you have paid or can pay 25% of the past due amount owed.
  5.  If approved by the agency, and if funds are available, they may make a contribution of up to $200 towards your water bill’s past due amount.
  6.  The agency will notify us if they choose to make a payment (which will pause any shut-off process) and then the agency will send York Water Company the funds directly.

Will this pay my whole water bill?

Probably not. You will have to show the agency that you can pay or have paid 25% of the past due amount. Once you have done that, the agency may be able to pay up to $200 towards your past due water bill.

Are funds always available?

No, an agency may run out of assistance funds. If they do, we can check to see if another agency has any funds remaining and available.


Call 717-845-3601 or email for more information.



What is LIHWAP? The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a temporary emergency program to help low-income families pay overdue water or wastewater bills. LIHWAP is a grant that does not need to be repaid.

Who can apply?

  • You must have an overdue water or wastewater bill that you are responsible for paying.
  • Your household meets the following income guidelines:

How does it work?

LIHWAP Crisis grants may be available if you have an emergency situation and are in jeopardy of losing your water service. You can receive one Crisis grant for your drinking water service and one Crisis grant for your wastewater service, up to $2,500 each.

Crisis situations include:

  • Past-due water or wastewater bills.
  • Termination of utility service.
  • Danger of having utility service terminated (received a notice that service will be shut off within the next 60 days).

How do I apply?

  • Apply online at
  • Request an application by calling the Statewide Customer Service Center at 877-395-8930 or call PA Relay at 711 for the hearing impaired.
  • Applications are available at your local county residence office.
  • Applications are not available at York Water offices.

To apply you will need:

  • Names of the people in your household;
  • Dates of birth for all household members;
  • Social Security numbers for all household members;
  • Proof of income for all household members; and
  • A recent water or wastewater bill.

What do I do after I have applied?

Please email or call York Water Customer Service at or 717-845-3601 to let us know you have applied. We will put a note on your account to put a hold on the water shut-off process.