Position Reports To
Assistant Construction Superintendent/Construction Superintendent
Assist with the planning, permitting, construction, sampling, and testing of water mains, sanitary sewers, and other special assignments.
Duties and Responsibilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepare drawings for water and sewer main projects using computer-aided design (CAD) and /or other software.
- Gather and compile office and field data for proposed and completed projects, including the use of equipment such as global positioning system (GPS) collection units.
- Assist in the preparation of construction cost estimates.
- Assist in the requisition and delivery of materials for construction projects.
- Prepare road occupancy permit applications for main installation projects. Assist with the preparation of other types of permit applications.
- Review active construction projects to ensure that specifications, plans, procedures, and permits are being followed.
- Responsible for efficient and effective filling, flushing, disinfecting, pressure testing, and water quality sampling and testing at water main installation sites, and other company locations as assigned.
- Responsible for overseeing the testing of new sewer mains, manholes, and appurtenances.
- Consistently demonstrate positive and professional behavior to all individuals contacted on behalf of the Company, including customers and employees.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and a minimum of five years of related experience in the water / wastewater industry; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Post-secondary education is highly desirable.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must possess a valid PA driver’s license.
- Pennsylvania Class E Wastewater System Operator’s license is highly desirable.
- Ability to obtain a PA Class E Water System Operator’s license within one year of hire.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to interpret documents such as safety rules, drawings, specifications, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, general business communications and government regulations.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong customer service skills when dealing with contractors and the general public as needed.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as percentages, circumference, and volume.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient use of standard office equipment.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Familiarity with CAD, GPS equipment, and GIS software is highly desirable.
- The employee must be able to work under stress and work additional hours to meet deadlines and/or meet the requirements of the position during emergency situations,
- Ability to sit, stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, climb, walk, and bend.
- Ability to see, talk, hear, and actively listen.
- Ability to reach with arms and hands.
- Dexterity of fingers and hands to use tools and equipment.
- Ability to regularly lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to drive a company vehicle to and from company facilities.
- Ability to ascend and descend stairs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Prolonged periods seated at a desk working on a computer.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) including gloves, hard hats, safety glasses, and other PPE as required.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions.
- The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and heavy equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud and varies between worksites.
THIS IS A SAFETY-SENSITIVE POSITION AND WOULD REQUIRE COMPLIANCE WITH ALL APPLICABLE SAFETY GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS.
This is a Collective Bargaining Unit position