The York Water Company provides wastewater treatment and/or conveyance for over 5,800 customers located in our 8 certificated wastewater service territories. These 8 wastewater treatment systems include 5 wastewater treatment plants that treat over 150,000 gallons per day, with capacity to treat nearly 400,000 gallons per day. Providing quality wastewater treatment is fundamental to supporting our community and preserving our water resources for all the desired activities (recreational, agricultural, other).

York Water is committed to environmentally responsible and resilient operations of these wastewater facilities. As the wastewater service territory expands, the commitment to our customers and the environment remains and is reflective of York Water’s mission statement.

Do you have a question about your wastewater service or are you wondering if you are a York Water wastewater customer? Please call 717-845-3601 and one of our friendly Customer Service Representatives can help.

Do you have a wastewater emergency? Please call 717-845-3601 during regular business hours, or 717-848-2984 during after-hours.

The York Water Company owns and operates 8 wastewater systems and 5 wastewater treatment plants in York, Adams, and Franklin Counties.

Are you a York Water Wastewater customer? Select one of the systems below to find out.

Frequently Asked Wastewater and Sewer Questions

Wastewater? I thought York Water was only about the water from my taps.

For over 200 years, York Water has been providing tap water, but over the last decade, York Water has expanded into wastewater services. We now treat wastewater generated in communities in York, Adams, and Franklin Counties. York Water applies its same commitment to environmental quality in operating our wastewater treatment systems.

Where does the wastewater from my home or business go?

The wastewater generated from customers flows through a system of underground sewer pipes to a wastewater treatment facility. The pipes range in size from 4” to several feet in diameter (with increasing size as the network of pipes collects more sewage from other users).

What should not be flushed?

The pipes are designed to carry the wastewater from customers’ homes to the treatment plant, but unfortunately there are certain substances that can cause blockages in the conveyance system. The substances that cause the most problems are grease from home cooking, “flushable” wipes, and other personal hygiene products. These substances buildup in the pipe that results in a sewage pipe blockage that can flood basements or overflow to the environment. All other items should be disposed with your normal solid waste trash.

For more information, please refer to the York Water informative brochure on grease disposal.

What should I do if I have a sewer backup?

Contact a Plumber or Drain Cleaning Service
When a sewer problem is experienced in your home, contact a plumber or drain-cleaning service. The yellow pages list many companies that can service your line. Many drain issues are solved quickly and effectively by your trusted plumber. If the plumber determines the cause of the problem is in the street, please contact our emergency number, which is 717-845-3601 during the hours of 8AM-5PM Monday through Friday, and 717-848-2984 after hours and on weekends.

Property Owner or Renter Responsibility
The property owner is responsible for keeping the sewer service line clear between the building and the sewer main. Grease, roots, or foreign objects in the service line often cause blockages. Be sure to place any cooking or kitchen grease in a sealed container and dispose with your garbage. If poured down the drain, the grease hardens in the service line and will cause a blockage. Refer to our informative brochure on grease disposal for more information.

Defective Service Line
If the plumber or drain cleaning service is unable to clear the blockage or finds a defect in the service line in the street, the plumber should notify The York Water Company at 717-845-3601 as soon as possible. York Water will repair/replace a defective service line if the problem is between the curb and the sewer main. The property owner is responsible for repair of the service line from the building to the curb.

Insurance Recommendations
Homeowners and Renters should check their insurance policy to determine if they are covered for sewage backups and flooding. It is advised to include this coverage in your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy. If you are unsure if you are covered for this type of damage, contact your insurance agent.